Feb 20, 2021 06:53 UTC
Feb 20, 2021 at 06:53 UTC
Malaysian Police Bust Gang That Stole $2.15M Value of Electricity to Mine BTC
Police in Malaysia’s Jahor state has busted a 7 men gang that stole 8.6M Malaysian ringgits $2.15 million value of electricity to mine BTC & other cryptocurrencies.
- Police held they seized 1,746 BTC mining machines throughout 21 premises in raids approved out between February 15 & February 16, the Malay Mail reported. The miners are demanded to be value a joint 2.6M ringgits ($650,000).
- 7 local accused aged between 24 & 64 were stolen in the operation, which complicated domestic power company Tenaga Nasional Berhad.
- Johor’s police chief, Datuk Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay Says ‘The syndicate, which has been active since the start of the previous year, carried out its activities on the highest floor of a shophouse to evade detection by the authorities,’.
- Ayob Khan further that police are quite investigating the operation, whose unproven mastermind & other gang members are quite at big.
- ‘Investigators are not ruling out the option that the organization also has associations with syndicates in other states that carry out the similar modus operandi used in their BTC mining activities,’ he held.
- Rendering to Johor TNB, the previous year the electricity company agonized losses of around 90M ringgits ($22.5 million) from power thefts connected to BTC mining.
What do you consider about the theft of electricity for crypto mining? Share your opinions in the commentaries section under.